Sunday, March 16, 2008

Good Food & Rest

I was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy about 5 days ago. It's a temporary paralysis of the facial nerve resulting in inability to control facial muscles in the affected side.

It started with a bit of a painful lump in my throat on the right side, graduating to a throbbing earache. I went to the doctor and was prescribed Amoxicyllin even though the doctor didn't see evidence of an ear infection.

By that night, I started losing control of the muscles of my face on the right side. Couldn't raise my eyebrow, couldn't smile, couldn't do anything. And worse of all, I couldn't close my eye all the way.

A return trip to the doctor resulted in a prescription of Prednisone and Famciclovir - a powerful anti-viral.

I'm off of work for another week and have been told to rest - 10-14 hours a day. I thought that was ridiculous when my doctor told me to sleep that much but it has been no problem at all. Either the medication or Bell's Palsy makes you more tired than you could ever possibly imagine.

Right now, I'm supposed to avoid stress at all cost, eat good food and rest. Thankfully, I eat really healthy - I'm a vegetarian and since last week, I am now eating only vegan foods. I have to avoid salt at all costs since it can impede recovery.

The facial nerve heals about 1mm per day. I think this is going to be a slow recovery.

Hugs,
Layla

No comments: